By the time we got to school (even though we clothe ourselves every morning in God's full armour - see below), things were becoming a little too much for her. I spent some time talking with her, then praying over her before she went to the classroom.
The "Full Armour" of God (taken from the Bible - see Ephesians 6:10-18) is something we started as a family back in Israel. We would (and still do) clothe ourselves in it every day. The kids alternate each day with one giving the description (see italicised words below) and the other does the definitions, while we all do the actions. They have it down to a fine art. This is followed by prayer before we reach our first destination for the day. Here is our family version.
Helmet of salvation – "It protects our minds and we know we are saved."
Breastplate of righteousness – "It protects our hearts and we know the right thing to do."
Belt of truth – "It keeps us balanced in the truth, and the truth is Jesus."
Sword of the Spirit – "It is our only offensive weapon and it's God's word."
Shield of Faith – "It protects us from the fiery arrows of Satan and his dark angels." (sometimes they say, "It deflects the fiery arrows...")
Sandals of the Gospel of Peace – "So we can travel to far distant lands in peace and tells the Good News about Jesus."
I did my solo cafe routine again today with my Bible and iPod (built into my iPhone). It gave me an opportunity to pray for Gabi, listen, read and challenge myself in a number of areas. I was also able to chat with the cafe's owner, giving her my positive feedback about the little touches she adds that make it my favourite of all Coffee Guru franchises around. She certainly appreciated it.
I had my second Hospice-funded massage today. The masseuse (she is also a counsellor) remembers Ben and Gabi so clearly from the times she massaged Maria. She was so impressed by the way they handled themselves and the situation. Again, God has supplied in our times of need. I needed her words at that time to bring me back to encouraging them more as they have been (and continue to be) so amazing. Unfortunately, when I'm exhausted and things are going as how "I would like", I get on their case.
A dear friend (especially of Maria) from our Sydney days touched bases by SMS today. A response to a comment she made, led her to call and ask me more about my and Maria's personal faiths. I praise God that he presents these opportunities. I then allowed HIM to speak through me and was encouraged by our chat. Thanks to Justin and Kathryn for providing instant prayer coverage over that discussion.
I got to spend time chatting with one of the dads at school this afternoon. We are hopeful to be getting together for a BBQ (both with our kids in tow) tomorrow afternoon, then all heading out to Canberra Stadium to watch the Brumbies play (Rugby Union). I appreciated the invitation.
Gabi and I chatted at home this evening and it turns out her day panned out really well. I emphasised the answer to prayer and the need to bring these things before me and the Lord.