06 May 2009

Tue 5-May-09 (unexpected hospital visit, chemo over...for now)

Maria didn't emerge from her bedroom until mid-morning. Unfortunately it was not because she had been in hours of slumber. However, the good news is that she got some sleep.

I noticed Maria's eyes looked puffy, particularly the left one. I called Isaac (our Liaison Officer and friend) and he later called back to say that we should come to the hospital and have a doctor take a look. Her eyes have been watering over the last week and a bit sticky (like when you get conjunctivitis) but today was the first time they looked puffy and were a little more 'stuck'.
We had something to eat before heading off. In a space of 5-10 mins, we felt three sonic booms from aircraft above us. There has been quite a bit of military air traffic activity over the past couple of days. Haven't had much chance to catch up on news of late so not sure of the reasons.

While waiting for the doctor, I took a photo of Maria (Isaac in b/ground) taking her last dose of Temodal (chemotherapy) for now. In four weeks time she will commence a further six months (i.e. 6 x 28-day cycles) of chemo. Being orally administered gives us a lot of portability, especially as we work out our travel arrangements back to Australia.

Typically, Maria's eyes looked quite normal (as you can see by the abve photo) by the time we had arrived at the hospital. The doctor was not sure whether it was conjunctivitis or an effect from the radiation, so he prescribed antibiotic eye drops to treat former. If there is no improvement by Thursday (her final radio treatment day), then she is to be checked again to see what other steps need to be considered. Regardless, he didn't appear stressed about it and neither are we.

We were able to squeeze into radiotherapy. The ladies are so lovely and have been a huge blessing to us both. They (especially Tikva, whose name translates in English to 'hope') love when the kids come along. We plan to take in boxes of chocolates over the last couple of treatment days to thank the whole team.

While down at the shopping area collecting Maria's drops, I visited my local hangout (Aroma Cafe). I have become quite well known (almost a platinum frequent coffee-er) that a couple of the counter staff call me by name without me having to try and pronounce 'Troy" by rolling my "r" like an Israeli, as opposed to in my Aussie accent. They always speak to me in Hebrew, until I get stuck. I appreciate the opportunity to practice my pathetic grasp of the language, although my reading of it is improving (but not to the level where one would be excited about it).

Forgot to mention the other day that the person planning to purchase my VW Jetta was not able to, so it's back on the market. The only problem is that I had a couple of calls (could not see their numbers) just after the original agreement, who I turned them away without thinking there may be a potential complication. I'm praying that it will eventually go to a good home as for an older car it has served me well and is a bargain (as well as powerful!).