29 May 2009

Thu 28-May-09 (Return to Australia)

On the Wednesday evening we checked out and had wheelchair assistance all the way from arriving at the hotel until boarding the flight, with a bit of time in the Qantas lounge in between. I ran down to the duty free store to purchase some Eau de Toilette but was surprised at the prices (expensive, that is). Unfortunately I never got the chance in Sydney.

Not taking anything away from our trip to Hong Kong with El Al (Israel’s national carrier), we were far more comfortable on our Qantas flight because of the flat-beds, food and overall service. I barely slept, but got to see “Bolt” and “Hotel for Dogs” at the kids’ recommendation (I’m a child at heart). I was happy to have watched both.

Upon arrival in Sydney we had further wheelchair assistance from a Qantas staff member (Lydia), who escorted us all the way to the bus bound for the domestic terminal. Ben was very helpful with pushing one of the trolleys, while Gabi was quite exhausted and having trouble keeping pace at times. We were able to check on our carry-on luggage as we were going into a much smaller aircraft for the short flight. We had another ‘buggy’ take us from the domestic airport entrance to the gate.

In contrast to Hong Kong where most staff at the airport wore masks to protect themselves from “swine flu”, Australian Quarantine didn’t, but used temperature sensing devices and screens to monitor passenger movements and body temps.

After arriving at a quiet Canberra airport, we collected all luggage (quite a bit), which we managed to squeeze into our hire car. The drive home “on the other side of the road” was okay because we were following traffic most of the time.

It was strange to return to our house. Things seemed so much smaller. Not that we live in a small house, but after nearly two years in a reasonable sized three-level house, you can lose perspective.

The kids were excited to reacquaint themselves with the house. It was especially funny to see Gabi who has a lesser memory of this home.

Maria went to lie down and rest. As I had not accessed internet/email since leaving Israel, I checked the many emails but fell asleep in the process. The kids came in and out, with Gabi eventually giving up and having her own nap. I’m hoping that they quickly overcome any jetlag as we have a busy week or so ahead, starting with a visit to school tomorrow between recess and lunch to meet their respective classes. We also want them in a routine quickly as our specialists’ appointments here will commence on Monday and Maria will start her next cycle of chemo (6mths) on Friday.
The drive in the evening to get some takeaway was a bit trickier, as the roads were quiet, so I had to concentrate on ensuring I was on the correct side of the road. The kids enjoyed their kids meal from McDonalds. I think they have overdosed on junk food over the last two weeks!