08 May 2009

Thu 7-May-09 (Radiotherapy over, long day, some sickness)

The day started with Ben complaining he felt too weak to set the table for breakfast, but was able to play imaginary Star Wars with his lego. I was a bit sceptical...the story continues a few paragraphs on.

Maria and I headed into the hospital for a blood test, followed by her final radiotherapy treatment. It's hard to imagine that her therapy began 6 weeks (and well over 1200km of travel to/from the hospital) ago.

(sign says Radiotherapy in Hebrew)

Maria was able to catch up with some of the other technicians.

We were also about to catch up with our two favourite nurses to get Maria's blood results and to thank them with more Max Brenner chocolates (we should buy shares!).
Albeit brief, we (especially Maria) are blessed to have had the opportunity to develop acquaintances/friendships with quite a few people.

Maria was able to keep her mask as a souvenir.

Isaac caught up with us for a drink while we had lunch to celebrate this milestone. Getting back to Ben briefly, while having lunch I received a call from the school to advise that Ben was complaining of body weakness (flu). I picked him up after dropping Maria home and he slept for a couple of hours (I apologised for doubting him earlier). In the meantime it was back to school to get Gabi, having afternoon tea together, then off to celebrate Lag BaOmer (as foreshadowed in the previous blog entry).

During the celebration I came home and Ben returned with me for the bonfire. I had the opportunity to have a couple of nice conversations, while both kids had lots of fun eating plenty of treats!


Maria has felt a bit nauseas and headed off to lay down to see if it will pass. The right side of her head has also given her some grief today. I'd better sign off to check on her and administer eye drops for her ongoing "watery eyes" issue. Let's pray these do not lead to anything serious.

While it's a huge relief to get through this therapy and not have the constant travel routine and traffic to battle, in a funny way I'll miss it, particularly the familiar faces around the hospital.