I have been thinking of words to write that would succinctly describe our time and purpose of having been in Israel. I happened to be reading something this evening, which virtually mirrored my thoughts (albeit more articulate than I could ever be). I would like to share it with you.
Thomas and Cynthia Hale (surgeon nd pediatrician respectively) moved their family to Nepal in 1970 with the understanding that they would not be allowed to "proselytise" the Nepali people. Thomas wrote:
"Some may ask why we have come to Nepal if not to "proselytise" or "Christianise" the country. Our reason for coming, besides the fact that God called us here, is to communicate love to the Nepali people through our service and through our lives. we have come because God has given us a love for the people, especially for those suffering in body and spirit. This love does not arise from ourselves, it is a gift purely from God. Out of that love has grown a desire to introduce others to the person who has meant more to us than any other: Jesus Christ. To neglect sharing the our Nepali friends the joy of knowing him would make a pretense of our friendship. To withhold from them this greatest gift would be to no longer love them. And so it is not our religion that we desire to introduce to them but Jesus himself. There is no pressure, no enticement, no ulterior motive, no effort to undermine the many wonderful aspects of their own culture, which we not only admire but from which we have learned and profited. Rather we seek to work among the Nepali as friends and equals, contributing our professional skills where needed and involving ourselves as much as possible in their national aspirations. During the course of all this, it is perfectly natural for us to share with them, as occasions arise, our hearts' deepest feelings. They can take Christ or leave him; we shall serve them regardless."
Our family may not have contributed to the Israeli people as the Hales have to the Nepali. However, I would like to think that in our time here we were able to serve others (most importantly our Lord Jesus Christ) in a real way without placing pressure on people to come to know God. Although He desires (but not requires) to be in relationship with all of us, He gave us each 'free will' to make our own choice on this key life issue. Up until 2001, we had both made the choice to live life without God in the centre (for me without acknowledging His existence). Fortunately, Maria and I independently (and at different times) made the alternative decision, i.e. to acknowledge our sinful nature and accept God's free gift of His Son's (Jesus Christ) ultimate sacrifice to redeem us from serving sin and to serve Him instead.
In this current trial we've needed a solid rock, and He has been it! When I look back, I cannot imagine how I could have faced this situation with my self-reliant attitude. The only 'positive energy' in our lives now is God's Holy Spirit, the power by which God (the Father) and Jesus Christ (the Son) accomplish Their will on Earth. May His will be done.