28 May 2009

Mon 25-May-09 (arrive in Hong Kong)

We were caught in a massive traffic jam enroute to Ben Gurion Airport on Sunday night, which meant the kids and I were virtually running to get to the aircraft. Kathy, Mark and Dave did an awesome job getting us to the airport and helping us with luggage, etc. Fortunately Maria had a wheelchair, followed by ‘buggy’ to get to the gate.

The flight itself went reasonably okay, apart from turbulence because of weather in the Asia region. We all had some sleep. Even I had my longest sleep (3.5hrs) on a long-haul flight to date.

Maria didn’t seem so great when we got off the aircraft. While being escorted through the airport a staff member approached us and pointed a device at Maria’s head, which 'beeped'. At first I thought that perhaps during her operation the Israelis had inserted a monitoring chip into Maria’s head, but my conspiracy theory went up in smoke when he did the same to all of us and others in the immediate vicinity. As you’ve probably worked out by now, he was checking body our temperatures, due to the outbreak of “swine flu” across the world. Hong Kong has not really been affected to my understanding.

Finally we got to the hotel. Because of a hotel error with not being able to deliver on the confirmation of having interconnecting rooms, they upgraded us to ocean view rooms to get us closer (5 rooms apart). As it was pouring with rain, you couldn’t see much at all. We were told by hotel staff that we should expect the same weather for the remainder of our stay. All I could think of was the Disneyland trip I had planned for the following day.

The three of us had a swim that evening, followed by time in the Jacuzzi, steam and sauna rooms. I think the above helped their sleep as I struggled to get them out of bed in the morning for our Disneyland day-trip.