30 April 2009

How is Troy?

After publishing this entry, I had to come back into it for "editing" as I saw the Bible verse of the day on the blog's front page is Psalm 55:22 (very apt in terms of casting our burdens on the Lord). Now back to the text...

As time goes on, you will see random entries focusing perhaps on one of us, an issue, or even just a bit of preaching from the heart.

Trying to address the subject of how I am without entering into a thesis could be challenging. Luckily I've found that where I have developed most in character over the past two months is in 'brevity' and 'assertiveness'. Let's see how I go putting the former into practice!

I have been off work since Maria had her operation on 25-Feb, having only been able to visit the office a handful of times for short periods. The office is ticking along (probably better than when I left it) and for that I'm grateful (thanks Trish and team). I sometimes feel guilty for not getting into the office more often, but I am active from morning until late evening with the full-time job of caring for Maria and the kids. I thought my current job was challenging...if I'd stayed on in Israel and returned to work, I feel this experience is increasing my confidence to face any work challenge without stress (not that my current role is without stress).

Although I've always tried to be an active parent, being the kids' "primary" carer has given me a greater appreciation of the awesome job Maria has done with our beautiful kids.

Psychologically I'm fine. I would however be happy to swap places with Maria in the blink of an eye (for her sake, not mine), or at least take on her physical pain.

The prayer and practical support helps lighten the load. I will sorely miss the people we have come to know and love in this land. I'm hopeful some of these relationships will continue even with such a distance that will separate us. In today's e-communication environment, there is little excuse for not remaining in contact.

Physically, I won't deny that I am exhausted. I haven't slept through a night since Maria fell ill. I think it's catching up as I collapsed on the lounge for a 5min break this afternoon, but ended up napping for well over an hour. This is the first time I've napped since before Maria fell ill. The kids were a real blessing by occupying themselves, albeit Gabi woke me a handful of times to get my permission to do certain things...trying to catch me off-guard!

I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank my employer, who will remain anonymous (I'm conscious of not mixing private and work matters over the Web). I want to thank them for supporting my existing leave arrangements and more importantly the financial support associated with Maria's treatment as foreigners are naturally managed as private patients. Unfortunately the circumstances were such that Maria could not receive the treatment necessary in Australia at that critical time a few weeks ago.

Speaking of exhaustion, I need to get some sleep so I can face another day that "...the Lord has made." As the lyrics continue, "We will rejoice and be glad in it".