It is amazing that exactly a week ago Maria underwent her surgery (last Wed evening). While it may seem fast to some, I have to admit that it feels more like 6 months ago for us.
Today there was a change in the weather, shifting back to the pleasant "winter" days we have come to know. This certainly helped Maria as she was keen to get out of the house, albeit slowly.
She, Effie and a dear friend went to a Cafe on the beach near to our home. It is in a beautiful location. She even made the long descent down a stepped slope, which is no small feat. The worst part is the trip back up, especially when you are carrying a little extra weight from the food/drink consumed.
I was able to get together with a great group of brothers this morning for breakfast (weekly ritual), which is always a blessing and an opportunity for me to see true wisdom in action (and try and absorb what I can).
I also took the opportunity to spend some hours in the office (first time since Maria was admitted to hospital over a week ago), although I admit probably an hour of it was spent chatting to well-wishing colleagues. I was happy with what I achieved in such a short time and it is amazing how much you can get through when focused and on a tight schedule! I plan to go in again tomorrow for 2-4 hours (providing all is well with Maria). I'm taking this opportunity as Effie is here as support and it is hard to know what the future treatment schedule and plans will be.
Maria had some pain today, but far less than yesterday. She doesn't like the change of sticky gauze on her head and becomes anxious at the thought. Effie purchased some alternative bandages and padding, which we'll try to apply in way that is more comfortable. Maria has also been wearing headscarves in the fashion as many Jewish women, so she certainly doesn't stand out (apart from having a battered and bruised face).
The kids are doing okay, but they have their moments. I have been seeking a child psychologist in the event Ben and Gabi need to speak with someone else in the future. Fortunately, I received a recommendation today, who I will pursue at the appropriate time.
The meals provided to date have been delicious. It is a delight to witness servant hearts in action and to reap the benefit of their effort (I won't be losing too much weight any time soon).
Ben, Gabi and I have started to get back into our evening Bible Study. Ben read two chapters of Exodus. Gabi followed with reading the devotion and asking a prepared list of questions. It was very cute and nice to have that little bit of quiet time with them, which I cherish.
We are all very weary. Maria had an afternoon nap, so she is a bit nervous that she won't sleep this evening. Effie went to bed some time ago. Just before preparing this entry, Maria and I had our first prayer session together since just before her operation. After we finished, I was "ordered" to go and sleep. On that note, I'd better finish up and get comfortable on my favourite lounge/couch. An 11pm bedtime seems far too early!