30 March 2009

Sun 29-Mar-09 (“treatment” family outing, minimising visits/contact)

The day for us started mid-morning with Maria having a physio session at home, followed by Maria and Gabi going out on a short 'girls' outing with dear friends. Ben and I took our boys time finding Star Wars Lego for sale on eBay (at Ben’s request) that he could afford to buy with the remainder of his saved money. He is now anxious for it to arrive from Australia—he couldn’t possibly wait for us to return in a few weeks to buy it! After “e-shopping” we then hit the tennis ball on our street for a little while.

Later this afternoon the four of us went to the hospital for Maria’s treatment. The kids were able to go in and actually see the room (I haven’t even got that far) before Maria started. The three of us were able to sit in the booth with the radiologist and watch Maria on computer screens while she received her treatment. It was great for them to see how quick and painless the process is.

After the treatment we celebrated with dinner at McDonalds on the hospital grounds. I got “kids meals” for Ben & Gabi as the gifts were small stuffed dogs, which I thought would be a good reminder of this visit. As it is ‘kosher’, it was a bonus for me because you don’t get cheese on any burgers (for those of you who don’t know, I don’t eat cheese).

Unfortunately the sofa bed I’ve been sleeping on for a couple of weeks, is now causing my back some grief. As a result, I have decided to move to the basement bedroom until Maria’s mum arrives at the end of the week. This coincided with a deal Gabi and I made to have a slumber party this evening.
Upon arriving home (after their normal bedtime) we quickly got ready for bed. Gabi and I spent a while reading the Bible, followed by me telling her a lengthy tale about a royal family (i.e. us). I think I fell asleep before she did. Anyway, I woke about an hour later and thought I’d come up to write a blog entry.

I came up to find Maria sitting in front of the TV, feeling a little unwell (virus and general side effects) and some anxiety. From all the rubbish as least she was able to find an episode of Inspector Morse. Let’s see what happens in terms of her sleep over the coming hours…

This probably will primarily affect those locally, but we will be cutting down on visits (not that we've been having that many) as Maria is becoming less inclined to receive people, especially with this virus and her immunity system continuing to be further depressed as her treatment progresses.

With the workload involved in caring for Maria and the kids, I am not taking as many calls as usual. I find it easier to check and respond to SMSs or voicemails when in a position to, or to emails usually at the end of the day. Please don't take any offense to my slowness in responding to all types of correspondence.