- It continues to rain with vigour here in Tel Aviv. It is very much needed.
- Maria’s sister Effie arrived safely late last night. Our dear friend Eileen took her on a reconnaissance tour around Herzliya today. It’s great to have Ef here (thanks also to Brian for that). Ef also made it though the day without dozing off (she headed off to bed a short time ago).
- Gabi stayed home sick from school. She should be right to go tomorrow.
- Ben went to “special teaching” instead of Hebrew this afternoon. When asked why, he explained that this was his intention over the next three weeks as it allows him to get all of his homework done in class, to spend more time with Aunty Effie.
- Maria was not really herself today. A bit more vague and ‘foggy’ than usual and had some pain management issues. We are monitoring this and hope this will settle over the next day or so. If she is still the same, we’ll probably get our doctor and friend, Harvey to examine her. He has been kindly checking on Maria by contacting me regularly each day (beyond the call of duty).
- When showering Maria today, I noticed her wound is healing nicely. They will be removing the staples and stitches on the 10th.
- Other dear friends here are coordinating meals, shopping, and the list goes on. I sometimes feel like a burden, but appreciate our relationships are such that I am comfortable to ask for anything without hesitation.
- I’ve been off work since all hell broke loose. I plan to go into the office tomorrow for 2-3 hours to get myself up-to-date and ensure that time-critical work can be handed over (I acknowledge the Embassy won’t fall over without me there).
- Although the days are busy with being fully occupied, they pass at such a slow rate as we move towards hearing of the test results on Sunday.
- I cry in the evenings when Maria is in bed and I’m alone (like now), working through the issues and planning in my head. I don’t think this is a bad thing. Other than that, I am focused on caring for Maria as best I can (probably not as well as I would like).
- I’m sleeping on the lounge on the ground level (to give you a quick visual, Maria and the kids are upstairs and Effie is in the basement bedroom) to give Maria as much rest as possible. At least our lounges don’t collapse, creak or fold up on themselves in the middle of the night (like the one at the hospital).
I just want to finish off by sharing something with you. I would hope that as many of you hopefully know me well enough; you will not think I am some kind of weirdo or one who has lost their mind in saying this. Anyway, I’ll let you be the judge. Without going into my life story, for those of you not familiar with my history, up until 2001 I rejected the existence of God. I’m grateful that through a series of events, I came to make a decision to accept Jesus Christ (Yeshua Ha'Mashiach) as my Lord and Saviour. Regardless of what anyone else thinks (saying that in a loving way as I appreciate every one of you copied into this message—also reminding you that I not that naïve, having “been around” with 16 years of policing in Sydney and having debated this topic on the other side of the table in my life B.C.), that without this relationship I would not have had the ability to cope or be where I am now. I truly believe that the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Saul/Paul, Peter, me, you (and the list goes on) has been with our family every step of the way and will never leave nor forsake us through this journey (regardless of how rough it may be). As my Christian and Jewish brethren will appreciate, I take significant inspiration and comfort from Psalm 23 (A psalm of David). Thanks for letting me share. I’ll take my preacher hat off now.
Again, I want to thank everyone for their messages and support. Maria also thanks you and looks forward to being well enough to prepare her own emails.
04 March 2009
Mon 2-Mar-09
Another dot-point summary: