

(Originally sent by email)
For some of you it will be the first time you are receiving this news. In summary, Maria fell ill, something was found in a CT scan of her brain (edema and a mass of some description). The initial message I sent out early hours of yesterday was that the pain was under control and we were waiting to undergo an MRI.
Since then we had the MRI done, which showed that Maria had a large lesion in her brain, crossing both hemispheres (mostly on the LHS) and placing significant pressure on the front of her brain. We were given a couple of options, which we independently prayed about and agreed to without hesitation. The option chosen was to operate as a matter of urgency. We were blessed to have friends bring Ben & Gabi to the hospital just before the operation (I’ve attached a photo of them just before the operation). Throughout this ordeal, Maria has had such a sense of peace.
We are also blessed that the surgeons here are the best in the country (the medical care is first rate this — just the occasional bedside manner issue). The most respected professor of neurosurgery in the country also independently viewed the MRI (calling in favours for a second opinion) and agreed with the course of action that we consented to.
The operation took about four hours. Without going into too much detail, they were able to remove most of the tumour without damaging any part of the brain. It technically went smoothly. I saw Maria an hour after the operation and she was incoherent, but recognised me immediately and spoke (a bonus). Another hour later she went for a CT, which looked far more positive than the previous one taken, in that the swelling had come down significantly and there was no post-op bleed. Again we spoke and this time she was coherent, but naturally tired. I should also mention that I also had great support throughout the day and night.
This morning Maria is in good spirits and thinking of things like the need to cancel today’s drum lesson for Ben. She is however in some pain from where the incision was made and portion of the skull removed for the operation. Her face is quite swollen on the left side. I’ve attached a photo that Maria wanted me to take so she could see herself. That was about four hours ago and she has swollen even further (looks like Mike Tyson hit her). This will apparently be the case over the next couple of days, because that is where most of the work was done.
They moved Maria about an hour ago from the recovery room to a single room in the neurosurgery dept. She is sleeping at present, with me sitting next to her typing away. She is enjoying the natural light with the sun pouring in on this glorious winter’s day. I have been trying to keep things as normal as possible with the kids. They have both had their fair share of interesting and challenging questions. I have been able to slowly release the necessary information without overwhelming them. I continue to focus on keeping their routines as best as possible. Maria would like to see them so I may bring them in for a visit (Maria has no tubes in her) tonight and return home with them (albeit they have enjoyed the sleep-overs). My only hesitation is that Gabi was very stressed some weeks ago when sustaining a black eye which swelled slightly. Maria’s current appearance may or may not impact on her.
Pathology test results will take 7-10 days, which will reveal what is next for us. They are talking about discharging Maria on Sunday or Monday. Maria’s sister Effie is flying out on Saturday (arriving here on Sunday night) to be with us for three weeks. Please keep her travels in your prayers. I’m off work for now, but will try to tap into work operations when possible.
For those of you who received my initial email (I apologise to those I missed first time around), I want to thank you for the overwhelming support, whether it be through acts or prayer. The support from our church and school community, my work colleagues and counterparts at other diplomatic missions in the country has been fantastic and appreciated immensely. Also, the SMSs and calls locally and from abroad have not stopped (and continue).
Due to time constraints in my current routine, but to be more accessible by email while on the move (there are only so many places I can take my laptop) I intend purchasing a new mobile phone later today with the appropriate functionality (large screen/keyboard). I intend to bulk email update when I can. On that note, please forward any replies to my gmail account (CC’d into this message).
If I have accidentally missed anyone, please don’t hesitate to forward this message on. Should any of those additional people wish to be included in my bulk emails, ask them to email me at the aforementioned gmail address. If I’ve included you when creating this bulk group and you prefer not to receive further updates, please let me know so I can make arrangements to remove you from the list.
I value the ongoing prayers and support—for Maria and the kids especially.
Love and blessings
Troy
Since then we had the MRI done, which showed that Maria had a large lesion in her brain, crossing both hemispheres (mostly on the LHS) and placing significant pressure on the front of her brain. We were given a couple of options, which we independently prayed about and agreed to without hesitation. The option chosen was to operate as a matter of urgency. We were blessed to have friends bring Ben & Gabi to the hospital just before the operation (I’ve attached a photo of them just before the operation). Throughout this ordeal, Maria has had such a sense of peace.
We are also blessed that the surgeons here are the best in the country (the medical care is first rate this — just the occasional bedside manner issue). The most respected professor of neurosurgery in the country also independently viewed the MRI (calling in favours for a second opinion) and agreed with the course of action that we consented to.
The operation took about four hours. Without going into too much detail, they were able to remove most of the tumour without damaging any part of the brain. It technically went smoothly. I saw Maria an hour after the operation and she was incoherent, but recognised me immediately and spoke (a bonus). Another hour later she went for a CT, which looked far more positive than the previous one taken, in that the swelling had come down significantly and there was no post-op bleed. Again we spoke and this time she was coherent, but naturally tired. I should also mention that I also had great support throughout the day and night.
This morning Maria is in good spirits and thinking of things like the need to cancel today’s drum lesson for Ben. She is however in some pain from where the incision was made and portion of the skull removed for the operation. Her face is quite swollen on the left side. I’ve attached a photo that Maria wanted me to take so she could see herself. That was about four hours ago and she has swollen even further (looks like Mike Tyson hit her). This will apparently be the case over the next couple of days, because that is where most of the work was done.
They moved Maria about an hour ago from the recovery room to a single room in the neurosurgery dept. She is sleeping at present, with me sitting next to her typing away. She is enjoying the natural light with the sun pouring in on this glorious winter’s day. I have been trying to keep things as normal as possible with the kids. They have both had their fair share of interesting and challenging questions. I have been able to slowly release the necessary information without overwhelming them. I continue to focus on keeping their routines as best as possible. Maria would like to see them so I may bring them in for a visit (Maria has no tubes in her) tonight and return home with them (albeit they have enjoyed the sleep-overs). My only hesitation is that Gabi was very stressed some weeks ago when sustaining a black eye which swelled slightly. Maria’s current appearance may or may not impact on her.
Pathology test results will take 7-10 days, which will reveal what is next for us. They are talking about discharging Maria on Sunday or Monday. Maria’s sister Effie is flying out on Saturday (arriving here on Sunday night) to be with us for three weeks. Please keep her travels in your prayers. I’m off work for now, but will try to tap into work operations when possible.
For those of you who received my initial email (I apologise to those I missed first time around), I want to thank you for the overwhelming support, whether it be through acts or prayer. The support from our church and school community, my work colleagues and counterparts at other diplomatic missions in the country has been fantastic and appreciated immensely. Also, the SMSs and calls locally and from abroad have not stopped (and continue).
Due to time constraints in my current routine, but to be more accessible by email while on the move (there are only so many places I can take my laptop) I intend purchasing a new mobile phone later today with the appropriate functionality (large screen/keyboard). I intend to bulk email update when I can. On that note, please forward any replies to my gmail account (CC’d into this message).
If I have accidentally missed anyone, please don’t hesitate to forward this message on. Should any of those additional people wish to be included in my bulk emails, ask them to email me at the aforementioned gmail address. If I’ve included you when creating this bulk group and you prefer not to receive further updates, please let me know so I can make arrangements to remove you from the list.
I value the ongoing prayers and support—for Maria and the kids especially.
Love and blessings
Troy