28 February 2010

Sun 28-Feb-10 (Service for Maria)

As mentioned in a recent message, today was the 40-day service held for Maria at the Greek Orthodox Church in Queanbeyan.

For those who prayed over it, thanks. The Lord was present. The service itself went well and was nice. The kids were a little bored as they were unable to follow it. It was a blessing that a number of people travelled down from Sydney to be there.

We had coffee and some light food before Maria's parents, a friend of theirs (Donna), myself and the kids went over to the Cemetery with the priest for a brief time. On the way out I saw a friend from school who was visiting her husband who passed away a year or so ago. It was his birthday today and I had been praying over the weekend for Adelyn and her boys. We briefly chatted before heading to Woden for coffee. Ben saw his best mate and brothers there, while it gave Donna and I a chance to chat about our individual faiths. It was in many ways a time of encouraging each other and witnessing to those around us as we were engaged in quite passionate conversation for more than an hour that would have been heard by those around us, as well as Maria's parents having to tolerate it. It also allowed me to voice some of my views that I had mentioned in a previous entry on the subject of the Service.

Donna has a very interesting background, coming from the US with a Protestant background but coming to be Greek Orthodox (she's not Greek). Her husband will join her here later in the year and (all going well) it looks like he'll become a Greek Orthodox priest on the south coast.

The kids and I headed home while Mama, Baba and Donna made the long journey home.

The three of us had a relaxing afternoon before my new-ish laptop seized up, followed by Ben's bed breaking at bedtime. This caused some stress, moreso with the laptop as I had failed to back-up all of the documentation I had stored regarding Maria's funeral on it. I'm prayerful that the issue can be rectified by Apple tomorrow.