21 February 2010

Sun 21-Feb-10 (Cemetery visit, BBQ)

We got McDonalds this morning, bought some flowers and went to the Cemetery on what was an absolutely perfect day. We hung out next to Maria's grave, while I read from the Bible about Heaven and listened to some of Maria's favourite music.

We were running late for church and the kids were emotional, so we all decided to have a break and head home.

I took a few photos (see below) and a video, which generated brief conversation about their first visit since the funeral. It was very touching for me. As I couldn't get the video to upload, I placed it on our family website. Unfortunately I am having a problem with publishing the website at present (a self-inflicted, non-related issue). I will publish the link when I sort the issue out.

Description of photos below
(1) Ben and Gabi at gravesite. During the week I need to go back to the Cemetery to organise the granite stone and plaque.
(2) Maria's gravesite from a distance, giving some perspective on the area.
(3) Gabi's photo of me with Maria's grave behind me. Didn't notice till later that Gabi's timing was perfect in that she snapped me at the moment I closed my eyes.
(4) Ben up in a 100 year-old tree.

Our neighbour drove by and she dropped in for a long chat, which was nice.

In the early evening we went over to dear friends' house for a BBQ. It was an opportunity to kick back and relax with them and another family at the end of what has been an emotional weekend. We got around 9:00pm, so it didn't take much for the kids to get into bed and crash out.