23 February 2010

Tue 23-Feb-10 (hallucinations, sleep issues, coffee)

Last night was a terrible one. I tried to go to bed before midnight, but didn't fall asleep until 2:30am after experiencing awake hallucinations, followed by vivid strange dreams, which broke my sleep multiple times. The hallucinations seem to have followed on from a couple of incidents in front of the kids, which they claim they didn't see happen. Unfortunately they were right. I think the months (especially recent weeks) of only 2-3 hours of broken sleep is taking its toll. As someone shared earlier in the day, that is why sleep deprivation is so effective in the use of torture.

Today I was busy throughout the day. It helps to combat the loneliness, which is overwhelming at present. I am supposed to return to work next week, but will seek to take more long service leave while I continue to arrange things at home and look to taking the kids away for a week's holiday. None of us have had a holiday since Maria's onset of illness a year ago.

I had the chance to meet up with Effie and Brian for lunch while they were in town today. It was really nice to hang out with them.

By the time I got home with the kids and I sorted out afternoon tea, I could feel myself about to physically collapse. The kids did their homework and I went for a nap. I was to rest for 30 mins but after a couple of phone calls in the first 15 mins I could feel it wasn't going to be enough. I must have drifted off as the next thing I realised I woke to the alarm, but could not get out of bed. I slept another hour, after which I rushed around to get dinner for the kids so they would be in bed by their normal times.

My plan is to get into bed myself much earlier tonight. Ben is in with me tonight, so we'll see how that goes.

PS. I haven't heard anything on the progress of the repairs to my coffee machine, but the news (good to some) is that I'm surviving on only a coffee a day at present.