20 January 2010

Wed 20-Jan-10 (Evening update)

As expected it has been a hard day for us all. We spent some time around Maria to say our goodbyes a number of times. We have also received many lovely emails and SMS's.

I was ready in the afternoon to leave the Hospice. The staff were second to none and treated Maria and us with such dignity and respect. When I arrived home I walked into our bedroom, which brought back a flood of memories and my emotions peaked. It was very hard and I can see this to be the case for a while to come.

The kids stayed at their good friends' place all day and returned late this evening. Both are very sad, and Ben especially is quite affected and visibly sad in my presence (in his room).

Effie and I are meeting with the funeral directors tomorrow afternoon to make the necessary plans. Our hope is that we are able to have the funeral next Wednesday (the 27th). I will post a specific entry when all is confirmed.

I am exhausted yet unable to get myself into bed for the fear of not sleeping. I know this will change with time.

For anyone intending to send flowers, we would prefer that a donation be made to one of the following bodies:

In Australia

  • Cancer Council Australia
  • International Brain Tumour Alliance
  • Another cancer council/organisation/institute of your choice, with a focus on brain and/or spinal tumours/cancer

Overseas

  • A cancer council/organisation/institute of your choice, with a focus on brain and/or spinal tumours/cancer

Your consideration is greatly appreciated.