28 January 2010

Australia Day Achievement Medallion received with mixed emotions

A little earlier this afternoon the kids and I went to my work offices in order for me to receive an Australia Day Achievement Medallion for work I carried out while overseas. There were three medallions issued, with me being the only person in Australia at the time to receive it. I'm humbled by the honour. Although what I received the award for involved much time and effort at the expense of seeing Maria and the kids (everything wrapped up only a couple of weeks before Maria fell ill), it is important to acknowledge it was a team effort with some of my staff/colleagues in Israel also playing important roles.

I was initially advised of the award a couple of weeks ago and it was my wish to have Maria and the kids present. Work was happy to facilitate this request. I was also unsure whether or not we would be able to make it as Maria was deteriorating at the time and it was hard to know whether things would transpire in days or weeks.

Albeit it won't the same meaning to me given recent events and Maria's absence from today's event, the kids were excited so I decided we should proceed. I also know in my heart that Maria would have wanted that.

I am happy that I was able to tell Maria about the award while she was still lucid and conscious.

The kids loved sharing the medallion and framed certificate. The Secretary of our Department was so lovely with them. They were excited that we got to travel in his special lift. After having a number photographs together he took time out to escort the kids around the Senior Executive area, including his office. I appreciated his time and genuine compassion shown to our today. A number of other senior members of the Department also voiced their support and flexibility concerning the time ahead and transition back to work.