13 January 2010

Wed 13-Jan-10 (p.m.) update

Following on from the morning update, Maria slept for another 40mins then woke up nauseas and vomited. After a wash she fell back into a deep sleep, which continued throughout the day.

The doctor I spoke with also confirmed other medical advice that the increased sleep and vomiting is a result primarily from the cancer. Some of the morphine etc. will also play a role. She doesn't think things are imminent, but it depends heavily on how rapid the progression is. I have been provided with consistent advice as what to expect at this and the next stage.

My parents, brother and family came and got to see Maria during a brief wake period. Effie came around 4:30pm to take over the reigns so I could collect the kids from their 24+ hour stay (thanks Gill) and spend some time with them.

Effie said a little while ago that Maria woke around 7:30pm and vomited again. After a wash and some morphine she went back off to sleep.

Although we have the nausea to deal with, her lengthy sleep and less need for pain relief today has been an answer to prayer.

Tomorrow morning I'll take the kids to a movie before heading to the Hospice. I'll be doing another overnighter. Ben will be having a sleepover at his best mate's place (for his mate's birthday) and Gabi may stay with me as she's keen to "...sleep in mummy's room".