17 January 2010

Sun 17-Jan-10 (Hospice day #7)

The nurses mentioned that a brown snake had got past/over the snake/proof fencing into the court yard but went on its way when the gate was opened.

Maria required breakthrough injections @ 4:00am, 7:30am and 9:30am. This meant that she was sleeping for the entire day. Her food and fluid intake has slowed significantly.

Mark took over Janelle for a while in the morning. I arrived with the kids and Maria's cousin Nicole who arrived at our home last night. Mark took the kids out while Nicole and I hung out with a sleeping Maria.

The doctor on duty for the weekend came in to check on Maria during the morning. As earlier suggested, it is quite definite now that Maria will remain in the Hospice. Because of the breakthroughs they will increase the dose of morphine, which will lead to further long periods of sedation. The aim now is to keep her comfortable.

Nicole headed off earlier in the afternoon with Mark and his family leaving later. Janelle took the kids out for a play at the park while I stayed with Maria.

I took the kids for 3 games of ten-pin bowling, which was a marathon, finishing around 9pm. The kids have now crashed out.

It was difficult in a way to have Maria so "out of it" that for the one or two brief moments she opened her eyes, she looked straight through/past me into space.

A little while ago Janelle SMS'd to say that Maria needed another breakthrough and is now sleeping comfortably.