After taking the kids to school, I headed into work for the first time since leaving Australia for Israel in August 2007. It was strange to be there, yet I didn't feel out of place with so many familiar and welcoming faces. Everyone I got to speak with was very warm and supportive.
I met with my HR manager to discuss "where to from here" with time off. Work has been a huge blessing and this support has continued with their receptivity to any requests I make for leave (including duration). The length of time I'll be off work will depend significantly on how Maria responds to upcoming therapy as well as a few other factors. For now I'll be off for the foreseeable future.
Apart from brief chats with a few former colleagues, I had a coffee and long discussion with a friend who happens to also be one of our staff counsellors (thanks Julie). I also got to meet briefly with my Tel Aviv successor. We hope to meet again on Thursday morning for a more detailed briefing and chat about life in Israel before she launches into her final training. I finished my 4+ hours in the building over another coffee, this time with our "sister" Trish. It was strange to be sitting and chatting in a "Canberra" cafe after having worked closely with her in Tel Aviv throughout our time there (we actually departed Israel only a day apart).