29 June 2009

Mon 29-Jun-09 (still some pain, kids adjusting well @ school)

As there was only one nurse on today, we didn't see her until just before lunchtime. It is difficult to make any plans. Most of the day we both (mostly Maria) went through cartons of files and did some serious culling. It was hard work and wore her out. I think from our recent experience with culling in Israel we have both lost a degree of sentimentality.

Maria joined me collecting the kids. They were both very excited. Maria met with Gabi's teacher briefly and commented how she (Maria) feels quite "out of the loop". It must be difficult, considering her role up until she fell ill involved so much time involved in the kids' schooling, etc. I have to say that I'm still struggling to meet parents from Ben and Gabi's respective classes so I can connect them to children (whose names I'm still trying to get across).

We read the kids' diaries and discovered that Ben brought his maths tests home. We looked at them and were in awe of his results. Gabi has gone up a couple more levels in reading competency (after starting off at a very high level). We are very proud of both, as any parent would be, but for us it feels like more of an achievement given the circumstances and distractions they have encountered since our return. We're not ones to focus on their level of academic excellence (although we'll accept these bonuses). We just want to be able to encourage and praise them in trying their hardest. So far there has been a lot to praise!

The kids found a couple of very old skateboards in our shed. Since the weekend they have been keen to try and ride them and have been having a heap of fun doing so. They have been spending a bit of time kicking the (Aussie Rules) football together, with Ben teaching Gabi. It's nice to see those moments when they get on so well. I'm praying for more!

Maria was struggling a bit with head pain again later into the afternoon and evening, but she hasn't rated herself too high on the scale. I put it down to the effort she put into sorting today. She went to sleep a little early. This made it difficult for me to wake her for her final dose of medication @ 9pm, but unfortunately there is no luxury in skipping or delaying.