Friends from the church we attended before leaving Australia as well as other friends through school (who attend other churches) have been kind enough to invite back/to their congregations when "we are up to it". At the moment this has been a topic far from our mind...please read on to appreciate why.
Since returning to Australia we have not been able to jump off our personal rollercoaster for a real break. We went from surgery to radio/chemo, then packing to return to Australia while having 11th-hour meetings to ensure Maria's fitness to travel. When we got back we were straight back into appointments and scans. Our hope was that when Maria was to commence her 6mths of chemo, the four of us could have what is our priority as a family: quality/precious time together. Unfortunately we find ourselves reliving events of four months ago.
These circumstances naturally dictate each of our decisions, which I should add we carefully think through. Albeit we really enjoy fellowship with other believers and listening to solid bible-based teaching, we certainly don't feel any further from God because of this decision. If anything, the last four months has brought us even closer to Him.
As I mentioned in a blog some time back, my plan will be to focus on doing more church at home, with the kids perhaps "very occasionally" visiting their friends' respective churches to hang out together at Sunday School and get some independent teaching.
One thing I was struck by when overseas was that the many passages of the Bible emphasising the unity of believers under Christ was actually realised, albeit at a micro level (approx 50 of us). For me it was a huge sense of freedom.
It is interesting to hear responses when I write "Christian" in answer to 'religion' on an official document. I'm usually asked to be more specific (i.e. denomination), but there is nothing more specific. Sadly over the centuries the enemy's successful division of the church has led to where we are today. I'll hop off my soapbox for now.