12 August 2009

Wed 12-Aug-09 (chemo, brief visits, leave from work)

Maria and Ben were both unwell on Monday morning—Maria coughing with some congestion, while Ben was generally unwell as if a flu was coming on. We kept Ben home and he seemed to pick up during the day. By the time Maria started her next cycle of chemo that evening, she too was feeling a whole lot better.

It is now Wednesday evening and she just had her third dose a short time ago (10:00pm). To date she has not experienced any nausea. Praise God!

Maria's parents visited on Monday enroute to the hospital for her father's teeth extractions. They called later to say that he only had x-rays and an examination. There appeared to be a communication breakdown or misunderstanding somewhere along the line.

After presenting medical evidence to work that I am required to continue caring for Maria (as I have done so until now), I received confirmation from work that this leave would be covered under my sick leave provisions. At this stage I will be away from work until the end of the year, but hoping that opportunities will present where I can return to work on an ad hoc or part-time basis. This round of chemo and a planned MRI in the next four weeks will be good indicators to work with. I just wanted to say again that work has been hugely supportive since Maria's diagnosis in Israel.

Tuesday was a reasonably uneventful day.

Today my parents visited after an overnight break in a nearby town overnight, enroute from Victoria. They arrived mid-morning and came with me in the afternoon to pick the kids up from school. They left later this afternoon to head home and Mum just SMS'd me while I was typing this paragraph (10:30pm) to say they made it home safely. Another answer to prayer.

Maria has a physio appointment tomorrow. Apart from that she has kept plans to a minimum for the remainder of the week as she continues to rest to combat the fatigue and headaches that come and go.