28 August 2009

Fri 28-Aug-09 (Maria's birthday)

We had a wonderful evening last night seeing the kids' school performing the "Super Saviour Spectacular" (i.e. about Jesus), we all crashed out late after a celebratory McDonalds dinner.

This morning we were up and busy, preparing the kitchen for breakfast. I had prepared the pancakes the night before so it was only a matter of cooking them while trying to get everything ready for Maria.

In the meantime we made Maria a cup of tea and toast to have in bed to pass the time. We came in to find her excited by her birthday and continued hair growth (which was up like a mohawk this morning). She decided to celebrate her day in style with a pose of a rendition of...well...I'm not sure who really!! Anyway, it's great to see she hasn't lost her sense of humour. In fact, in many ways she's gained more of it over the last six months.


After breakfast, a number of phone calls and allowing our tummies to rest, we headed into the city to "Koko Black" (Canberra's version of Max Brenner) where Maria put a gift voucher to good use (thanks Janelle). As it was a sunny day, around 18 degrees celsius (64 fahrenheit) we headed across to the Fyshwick Fresh Food Markets where we bought a seafood lunch, which we took to a park we frequented some years ago. After lunch we played with Ben (football) and Gabi's (netball) new purchases.


When we got home Maria had some time with Ben (as he'll be at a birthday party tomorrow) while Gabi and I went birthday cake shopping. We weren't convinced with what was on offer, so I bought a cake mix and went home and made one myself. I decided to do an icing from scratch, which came out okay. I laid it on thin as it was quite sweet. The kids helped me to decorate it.

After watching a DVD and reading a Bible story, everyone collapsed into their respective beds (I even had to carry Ben to his). I've now done the same, but with the laptop—madly trying to punch this entry out so I can have an early-ish night. We'll probably get around to today's emails (and preparing responses) some time tomorrow.