23 August 2009

Sun 23-Aug-09 (a quiet 40th birthday, except for Gabi's late onset of illness)

This has been a start-stop entry because of Gabi's illness (see towards end of entry).

As mentioned in the previous entry, I got to bed at 1:30am. I woke to Ben tapping me on the shoulder. He was dressed in his nice clothes, asking me to help him with his cuff buttons. He was very excited it was my birthday. I looked at my watch to find it was only 6:15am! I heard him disappear off to his room. About an hour later I woke to birthday wishes from Gabi. She hopped into bed with me, which meant there was no way I was about to get anymore sleep for the morning as she loves a chat.

Normally a 40th birthday party would be a big event. However, the events of the last six months cemented for me some time ago the need to have some quiet quality time with the family on this day. To be frank, I am not in a celebratory mood. My focus is Maria's birthday this Friday (the 28th) and prayer is to celebrate her 40th with her in August 2010.

One thing I have noticed from the photos (I've also felt it)—which you probably too have observed—is that I have put on a bit of weight. You would think a caring role and running around would lead to the opposite, but there is no time or motivation to exercise and the "running around" is also done by vehicle. I'm hoping to rectify this issue soon as I certainly feel far from what I would consider "normal".

The kids decorated the kitchen while Maria cooked pancakes (family tradition). It was a delicious breakfast! The kids were very excited to help me open my presents. All my gifts (from them and extended family) surrounded my "new toy" (i.e. coffee machine I purchased a while ago). Maria also bought me a fantastic professional hair clippers set.


Mark, Cass and the boys joined us for morning tea. After so much travel they have undergone in recent months, it was a huge blessing that they took this time out to come and share some of this day with me.


Around lunchtime the kids and I headed into the city to collect something. After our return we took it easy and played our football game, which the kids won again. Maria captured some of the moments on film and video.


As we were working out dinner plans, Gabi started to complain of illness. She commenced vomiting around 5:30pm. It is now after after 10:00pm and I have just been in to Gabi once again. Her frequent vomiting episodes have driven her to exhaustion. Even during her suffering, Gabi's main concern has been to ensure that her Mummy doesn't get sick. Gabi is also sad that she will miss the beginning of their school performances that will take place this week. She has been practising at home for this. Watch this space later in the week for more information on that.

Maria took an early exit to bed, also exhausted from a combination of her insomnia, all the effort she put in to make today a lovely day for me, and helping out with caring for Gabi while getting Ben sorted for bed and the school week ahead.

My plan was to stay up and watch the Australians more than likely lose the Ashes (cricket). However, as I just moved Gabi to my bed as I am anticipating a rough night for her (albeit I'm praying against that), I'm going to hit the sack soon.