13 June 2010

Sun 13-Jun-10 (church, cancelled lunch, family time, more soccer)

I took the kids for a McDonalds breakfast before church (only a minute's drive between the two locations). We were in a bit of a rush so I skipped getting petrol. It was a bad call.

On the way home I thought I'd grab some petrol and found that in that less than two-hour period it went up from $120.9 to $136.9. For our American friends, that is per litre. In other words, if we were talking US gallons (1gal = 3.8l) that would be going from $4.59/gal to $5.20/gal. I'm sure you'd appreciate the frustration. I should have guessed, given that tomorrow is a public holiday.

We were to go to a family's for lunch but unfortunately illness prevented that from proceeding. Instead, we hung out at home. I got some grocery shopping done. Ben had some Wii time while Gabi and I played parents with Gabi's toy baby and dog. She actually mopped the kitchen and hallway floors and the wiped down the island bench.

We watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which went for nearly 2.5 hours. They enjoyed it, compared with the last time a few years ago when the "child catcher" freaked them both out. Ben had to put the bins out afterwards (about 9:30pm) and asked me to accompany him. He (rightly) said that he isn't afraid of the dark inside (he likes to sleep with the door shut in complete darkness) but is afraid outside because he doesn't know what's out there. Fair call.

I'm typing this while watching Algeria -v- Slovenia, which is a pretty average/boring match. Will be up before the 4:30am Australia -v- Germany kick-off. A few people have asked who I'll be supporting given I've supported Germany at every World Cup I can remember (expect the last when Australia qualified). There is no thought required –– Go Aussies!!!!! "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi." Last World Cup the Aussies exceeded expectations and the benchmark has been set, but I really think that getting to this stage is a great effort and anything beyond this should be considered a bonus. Any result against Germany would set themselves up for progression into the next stage.