08 May 2010

Sat 8-May-10 (kids, footy, dinner)

The kids pulled up better this morning. Gabi decided to come into my bedroom very early so I could start reading the first book in her new set ("Camp Club Girls"), which I recently bought.

Gabi asked me this morning about the possibility of adopting a sister her age, a little younger or even a little older. I explained the bureaucratic difficulties associated with this, being a single parent. What I didn't explain was the difficulties I have at present only managing two kids.

Ben's footy: He not only played the full game but was given a certificate for the Most Improved Player. He marked and kicked well and just started to get into tackles towards the end of the match. Pretty good effort considering how sick he appeared last night.

I brought a couple of our dear friends' boys home with us. I had almost forgotten what it was like to occupy a two year-old, let alone nappy changing! Now that brought back some memories! Gabi was really good with James, taking on the "older sister / mother" role and able to win respect (as opposed to when she tries it with Ben). Paul generously took Ben and Gabi home with him so I am able to attend Justin's 40th dinner. A bigger effort than mine considering he'll have six kids to care for as Mel is out of town.

I'll get to Paul and Mel's later tonight and haven't decided yet as to whether to take up Paul's offer of sleeping at their place and go together to church in the morning, or transferring the kids to my car and coming home. I'm very conscious of their family's need to celebrate Mother's Day in the morning.