07 May 2010

Fri 7-May-10 (sick kids, the weekend ahead)

Gabi started to feel unwell at school yesterday afternoon. She struggled to get out of bed this morning, complaining of body aches, a headache and sore throat. Her throat, while red, had no signs of infection (yet). Ben was quite sluggish this morning and didn't seem himself. 
I gave them paracetamol and allowed them to lie around and read while I tried to get some work done. They picked up after the pain relief kicked in.

We all had a lengthy nap late in the afternoon and woke in time for dinner and to watch Second Hand Lions. We were spoilt to have some scrumptious brownies dropped off (thanks Robyn). Speaking of food, we have been spoilt by many people with delicious meals. There are too many people to name. You know who you are.

As we approached bed time both complained of throat issues and rejected their ice cream (that is a sign of real illness). Ben started to experience rigors and didn't look well. He is of the opinion that he'll be right for football tomorrow. We'll see. Gabi is a little better than she was this morning, but not great.

I have a dear mate's 40th birthday dinner to attend tomorrow night, but it's not looking a guaranteed prospect. However, a lot can change over 24 hours. If they are better in the morning I will be making 11th-hour approaches for a babysitter as I've had no such luck securing someone.  

Sunday is Mother's Day here in Australia. The kids made very special cards for Maria in which they wrote lovely messages to her. Sunday will be a hard day, but we are all prepared as much as one can be.