It took three days to get me online (still a few glitches that need to be ironed out). During this period I read hard copy documents to get across some of the work of the area I'm attached to. However, I really started to get into things today when I was "up and running" in the IT sense.
Albeit the building and many faces are familiar, I feel like a fish out of water. While chatting with Maria about it last night, it dawned one me that it is the first time in my 21 year work career that I've taken up a position I have not sought/applied for/or taken on my terms. I'm sure I'll feel better once I get a little more familiar with the work. Anyway, the section is a nice bunch so that makes the transition a lot easier.
On the topic of little quirky things I always wore a suit in Israel for work but no tie, following local dress code (which I favoured). I tried the same approach on Monday, but as everyone else was in ties I strangely felt under-dressed. That said, I forgot what a pain ties are after more than two years without one. At least I remembered how to tie it!
It was a warm day, peaking around 26 degrees Celsius (79 Fahrenheit). Although it was warmer yesterday, it felt a lot hotter today. When I collected the kids Ben complained that he didn't feel quite right and looked a little flushed. I gave him a hydration ice block and water when we got home, helping to pick him up, but by bedtime was suffering from headaches. I treated that before bed and am prayerful that his night won't be a rough one.
Maria has been asking us to wake her in the morning so she can prepare our lunches. She has also prepared dinner the last couple of nights, giving me a break. It has been a real blessing as it lightens my load.
Maria still struggles with significant fatigue and "chemo brain" (i.e. significant memory loss and confusion at times, associated also with the fatigue). She also has suffered from swelling around her ankles over the last couple of weeks, which is being monitored and will be checked by the Neurologist tomorrow. There are still bouts of wakefulness most nights. We are hoping to start tapering her steroid dose down (probably tomorrow) to try and rid her from this necessary evil. As her current dose is quite small (2mg), we are not stressed if it doesn't work out, but anything less would be a bonus.