- Maria is now wheelchair bound and I am with her virtually 24/7. I now lift her (many times a day) in/out of bed, on/off wheelchair/commode, etc. While it may help my strength and conditioning, it is exhausting.
- Maria is sleeping less at night and day. In fact last night she did not sleep a minute. The reason for her sleep issues is the struggle (only in the last three days) with acute agitation.
- Maria is also experiencing increased confusion and short-term memory loss, as well as some slight dysphasia (language issues, such as forgetting or using words out of context). The time we spend together ever increases.
- She has had a number of falls since Christmas. I'm a bit too emotional to describe the events. On two occasions I had help on hand (thanks Max, Mark & Cass). Fortunately she has not been seriously injured, but her confidence it at its lowest and frustration at her peak.
The children came in this evening to find me crying. We then spoke openly with them (once again) about how things are progressing and what they are to expect. It was a highly emotional time for us all. Maria is still unable to shed tears - surgery related.
Maria is not keen to really see anyone at present. Her sister Effie will come up for the day tomorrow to give me a chance to do shopping, visit the hospital and make some calls. My parents and brother (and his family) have also helped us a lot over the last few days. Dad/Mum will take the kids out for a few hours.
Before closing I also wanted to thank the many who have sent us emails and cards since just before Christmas. I have intended to respond, but (as I know you'll appreciate) just haven't been able to. I've already spent too long on the computer this evening and my eyes are feeling red-raw. Time to sign off until the next entry on ???