10 December 2009

Wed 9-Dec-09 (Doctor, morning tea, RT 15/25)

I visited our GP (family practitioner) this morning after dropping the kids to school. Next stop was home to collect Maria and take her for a morning tea catch-up with a dear friend. This gave me the chance to pop over the hospital briefly. I joined Maria and Viv for a while, before we did a major grocery shop. We arrived home with just over an hour before we would be on the move again to the hospital for her RT. Maria took the opportunity to have a power nap.

We got ourselves to the hospital just in time for RT. I dropped Maria off and needed to head back to the supermarket as I'd left a bag behind. Upon my return Maria was still waiting for her treatment. One of the radiation oncology social workers (who saw Maria yesterday when I wasn't there) came and introduced himself to me and we had a quick chat, confirming that the Palliative Care team will be catching up with us after tomorrow's therapy. As RT was running well over an hour late, I had time to watch some of the nurses hard at work decorating for Christmas. During this time I saw someone we used to attend church with, who was there with her mother. I also chatted with an elderly gentleman who happened to be from Cooma and discovered that my brother-in-law Brian is his GP. He couldn't stop speaking Brian's praises.

Because of the delay we got home in time for me to head back out to collect the kids from their play date, but it meant that I forgot to have Maria's blood taken in advance of her meeting with the Oncologist tomorrow. We will get into the hospital a little earlier tomorrow morning as they have results available within an hour.