One thing I failed to mention was something that happened last Friday when we took the kids out of school. I didn't write about it at the time as I only became aware of it in a recent conversation with Maria.
While the kids and I were inside a shop, Maria was sitting on a bench outside. A man approached her and he was clearly someone who lived on the streets. Apart from being dirty and disheveled his nose was running and he was holding a tissue to it, which Maria was certain had been used a number of times before. He stopped and looked at Maria and she greeted him. She moved over and offered him a seat on the bench beside her (this is while others are side stepping around him). He was very polite and thanked her. Maria offered him a tissue, for which he was apparently extremely grateful. Maria gave him her entire packet. They chatted for a few minutes before he farewelled her and headed off to who knows where.
Maria spoke of this man, feeling so much compassion for his situation. She felt this encounter was important for a few reasons, especially that it made her appreciate all the things she has and is blessed with.
Maria's act of kindness drew me to the book of Matthew (Ch. 25), specifically verses 34-40 (see below), which is a great challenge not only for me but everyone else in society.
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
While the kids and I were inside a shop, Maria was sitting on a bench outside. A man approached her and he was clearly someone who lived on the streets. Apart from being dirty and disheveled his nose was running and he was holding a tissue to it, which Maria was certain had been used a number of times before. He stopped and looked at Maria and she greeted him. She moved over and offered him a seat on the bench beside her (this is while others are side stepping around him). He was very polite and thanked her. Maria offered him a tissue, for which he was apparently extremely grateful. Maria gave him her entire packet. They chatted for a few minutes before he farewelled her and headed off to who knows where.
Maria spoke of this man, feeling so much compassion for his situation. She felt this encounter was important for a few reasons, especially that it made her appreciate all the things she has and is blessed with.
Maria's act of kindness drew me to the book of Matthew (Ch. 25), specifically verses 34-40 (see below), which is a great challenge not only for me but everyone else in society.
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."