It was a long day for us. We got to the hospital an hour before our scheduled appointment with the Oncologist to have Maria's blood taken. We hung out in the cafe before arriving just before our 12:00pm appointment. Nearly two hours later we got in to see him. There was some paperwork he needed to prepare for me so we agreed I'd come back around 5:30pm. We got down to Radiation Oncology (we had notified them earlier that we'd be late) to find that two of the three machines were out of operation and they were running nearly an hour-and-a-half late. This meant that Maria didn't have to wait long because all of the other delays. Overall we were at the hospital for well over four hours.
There was a miscommunication with the Palliative Care team in that the hospital-based team saw Maria and quickly realised that this should have been a referral to the Palliative Care (Hospice) team. We've been told to await their contact.
I went back to the hospital later and met with the Oncologist. As the office was closed we were able to sit around and chat a little while he was preparing a letter for me. I mentioned to him that I had been shown a letter from the Radiation Oncologist who mentioned the possibility that the spinal tumour could be a separate primary tumour rather than a metastasis, but it was rare. His view was that this was a more accurate assessment of her case given the location (i.e. T1) and position (i.e. inside the canal). Regardless, the treatment Maria is receiving would not differ.
Maria's Oncologist has been lovely and really cares for Maria. He asked about Maria's state of mind as he is amazed at how well she presents and is always smiling, regardless of her prognosis. I explained that although she has experienced some minor neurological deficits from the surgeries, she is completely coherent, lucid and just as intelligent (and far more wise) than before her diagnosis. I briefly explained that our faith and the prayer of family and friends carries us.