Yesterday I made the usual call to Maria's Oncologist to get the go-ahead for her chemo. He was very surprised to see that her platelet count had dropped significantly in a week since her last blood test (from 240+ down to 120). He asked that Maria go to the hospital today for another blood test in the event it was a false/positive result. Maria had the test at midday (she didn't even feel the needle) and the result was ready within an hour. The levels had come back up, although not to where it had been historically. Nevertheless, it was sufficient for Maria to have approval to commence chemo this evening.
Between the blood test and MRI, we had lunch with Maria's sister Effie. She and Brian came up from Cooma so Brian could undergo a minor procedure. It was nice to have that time with her.
I was in the MRI waiting room for over an hour. Maria said that she was in the machine itself for about 45mins, being the longest time we could recall. She even fell asleep for a while (I did the same in the waiting room). I told her that maybe it took so long because they had trouble finding anything! Although the Oncologist asked us to call on Thursday so he could have a look and chat about the result, Maria is keen to wait for when we meet with the Neurosurgeon on the 18th. I don't know if I can wait that long. The level of peace that Maria is experiencing at the moment is amazing! She knows it is all in God's hands.
We left the hospital and drove directly to a doctor's appointment (this time for me), as throughout last night I felt another bout of strep throat coming on. It looks like it is in its early stages. Our doctor gave me a high dose of penicillin that I'll take for a week. I'm not so worried about myself, but rather to minimise any risks to Maria.