4-0
What destruction! While my brother Mark and I chatted through the day and read the media in the lead-up to this game, we felt that Germany certainly could win, but how many people would have guessed a 4-0 scoreline!As Aussies we have one thing in common with Argentina and England. That is, Germany scored four goals against each of us.
Germany were nothing short of sensational. Maradona had a lot to say in the lead-up to the game and even put on a poor German accent, mocking Schweinsteiger in saying, "What's the matter Schweinsteiger? Are you nervoushh?". Well, Bastian's response came with the ball as he completely controlled the game from midfield. Klose was equal with Pele on 12 World Cup goals before the game. He scored two tonight to pass that milestone.
While the Argentinians were poor in defence, it was because the Germans completely dominated the game, applied relentless pressure and shut them down. They are playing such exciting football––nothing like the Germans of yesteryear. They came into the tournament with such a young team, just expecting to gain experience for the next World Cup. Now they are two matches away from winning this one.
I've back against the Germans for the last time in this tournament. Even if Spain (one of my pre-tournament choices) beats Paraguay 10-0, I wouldn't bet against the Germans.
The only downside to the game was that Mueller was yellow carded for a handball (I thought there was nothing in it), which means he'll miss the semi-final. He's only 20 y/o and is a goal-scoring machine (four goals in five games). The great thing about the Germans is that they have shown that anyone in the team can score.
It's just after 2:00am and I'm flicking between the beginning of the Tour de France and the cricket. I just witnessed the Aussies taking their 6th wicket in looking to secure the last game of the one-day series against England. Unfortunately this is a dead rubber, being down 3-1 coming into this game. Very unlike the Aussies to lose a cricket series.
I think it's time to catch up on some sleep.