20 January 2011

Thu 20-Jan-2011 (Part #2 of this anniversary entry)

The kids have just gone to bed (10:00pm). Another late night for them.

This morning at breakfast I chatted with the kids about the day and their feelings. I took the opportunity to read from the Bible about the importance of openly displaying grief (focusing on Job 1 & 2 Samuel 1).
We did some shopping for our picnic, bought bunches of flowers and met Maria's parents at the Cemetery. It was an emotional time. I decided to have the picnic at Maria's grave site and we would make this an annual event.
We then went back to our place and had coffee before Baba and Mama headed off. I spent an hour or so with the kids watching video clips with Maria in them. That was a very strange experience. At times I wanted to reach out and just touch her , but the screen was in the way.

Gabi and I went down to our video store to borrow a DVD for the evening. While chatting with the guy at the counter I heard someone engaging with Gabi behind me and turned to find one of our friends, Adelyn. Ado knows all about this day, given she too is a sole parent with two school-age kids––having lost her husband less than a year before Maria went to Heaven.

Without knowing anything about Nancy Drew, Gabi selected that DVD. That was a perfect choice as Maria had read some of the books. We all enjoyed the movie over a dinner of Lasagne cooked by Mama (she dropped it off today with "Bougatsa", my favourite Greek dessert but I had no room to fit it in as well).

I am grateful that we felt carried throughout the day. Thanks to those of you who prayed. Sometimes I feel guilty when I'm not as teary as I expect to be. However, like our journey till now, it's not necessarily the landmark dates that do it. It may just a particular moment in any day that can trigger something.

At bedtime I prayed over the kids and what a blessing they are to me. They individually expressed their sadness in missing Maria. I think the day's event, particularly watching video clips which made it all that much more real had an impact.

I have to say it is miraculous that not once throughout this last year has either of them woken from a nightmare or for any other reason, apart from illness (which we have avoided of late). They always sleep through and that has been so helpful for me as my sleep has never really recovered since caring for Maria.