20 January 2011

Thu 20-Jan-2011 (Maria's One year anniversary

It’s about 12:30am as I start to type on the day that Maria went to be with the Lord exactly one year ago. To get technical, it was about seven hours from now. Everything has strangely come back to me in floods of clarity.

Maria’s parents will arrive in Canberra around 11:30am and we’ll meet up at the Cemetery to spend some time there together. I have been thinking over what to do for the rest of the day, especially what the three of us can incorporate into the day to become a “tradition” for future anniversaries. As Maria was a big fan of picnics, that is looking to be the likely option. I’m sure it will all fall into place tomorrow.&

I was thinking over what to write on such a significant and difficult day for us. To be honest, I think the combination of 11 months as a 24/7 carer (especially as the high dosage of steroids kept Maria up for most hours) followed by a year of grief has sapped that energy and inspiration I need at this time. I’m grateful the Lord has given me the energy to live out every day, although it feels a long way off before I feel I’ll be in that space where I can once again contribute to the “Kingdom”.

Maria remains an inspiration to me and the kids. I can say with absolute confidence from discussions I’ve had with people over time that Maria positively touched the lives of many others, whether through brief encounters or as a long-term friend/acquaintance.

While Maria didn't get to live a "full" life, she lived what she was given to the full. I’m grateful for this and that Ben and Gabi had the time they did with her. They are fortunately old enough to absorb her qualities which had a lasting impression on their young lives.

Thanks to everyone who has kept us in their prayers and thoughts. There are so many things I miss about Maria. Strangely, the thing that sticks in my mind more than anything is her smile. That's what I've shared below.