30 September 2010

Sun 26-Sep-10 (Fiji - 6th full day)

Today is another scorcher! It’s the kids dinner time (just after 5:00pm) and I’m in the room typing the day’s events as Gabi rests. She had an accident a little while ago, hitting her nose and mouth on a fountain in the pool, which caused some bleeding. After I administered first aid and settled her down in the room, she fell asleep a short time later.

I noticed my stomach has not been 100% today, but I feel otherwise okay. With the late finish to last night we struggled to get out of bed. I was dragging Ben out at 9:45am as breakfast finishes at 10:00. More pool time for us all. I did some more water-sliding, but this time with Gabi in my lap. It is a fast slide so our combined bodyweight was like a torpedo hitting the water at high velocity. We met a couple with a seven year-old girl who live near my parents and where Ben was born. The lady even worked at the hospital at the same time as Maria but didn’t recall her name (a long time ago). Gabi and their daughter Myah seem to be getting on well and spent hours in the pool together today.

Gabi and I had an “Aussie BBQ Lunch” and a "mocktail" each, while Ben stuck to his usual, which is provided for the kids.

We’re one of 4-5 families remaining from the time we arrived. It’s interesting to watch people come and go and feel like we’re part of the furniture. I’m getting to know more of the staff. I was chatting with another staff member (Laite) and she asked about what music I listened to. When I told her Hillsong, this sparked another faith conversation.

I was chatting with another “long time” family and the mum and one of the sons went to the Methodist church in the local village this morning. That opened the door for me to share that I had a faith and was interested in her motivation for the church visit. She put it down to “something spiritual” she couldn’t clearly define.

I had hoped to do a few more local cultural activities with the kids, but they have just loved what they’ve been doing and my motivation has been a bit lacking...maybe next time...

Ben has just returned to the Bure after dinner and Gabi is still asleep. I’m planning an early night for the three of us. I’m hoping this little nap of Gabi’s doesn’t drive her to a second wind later...to be continued...


...later that evening...
After an hour or so I had some trouble trying to wake Gabi. I knew she was exhausted but apart from not wanting her to sleep I wanted to ensure she hadn't been concussed. As Gabi missed the kids' dinner she and I dined together before she went off to watch a movie with Ben. We ended up watching a live Polynesian dance evening, which included fire dancing, which the kids and adults "conga'd" down to. The guys were very impressive.


We had some photos taken with the performers and I got the kids back to the Bure a lot later than planned (just before 10pm), but fortunately before the "frog races" started.