22 July 2009

Wed 22-Jul-09 (Maria's struggle with sleep and fatigue)

Today is the last day of the kids' school holidays. We have had a reasonably quiet time off, especially as the kids are exhausted from having already done a full school year (their friends in Israel are now on the end of school year two months' break). With a few months of school to go for Ben and Gabi, this break was very timely.

It is a little strange to think that had Maria been well, this is the time we would have been in Australia for our "mid-term" leave break.

In recent days Maria has started to struggle with insomnia, very similar to that she experienced in Israel. It is hard to know the cause(s). Unfortunately her fatigue causes her to nap during the day, which may be creating a cycle of night sleeplessness. Maria intentionally stayed awake all day today and we put the kids into bed at 7pm with the hope of getting through to her normal bed time to see whether this would help her. Unfortunately we both fell asleep while chatting on the bed. I awoke to the 9pm medication alarm. After that we were both wide awake. I left her about 9:30pm.

It is nearly midnight now and I have been busy praying for my family with the loss of Uncle Vic (see previous entry) as well as writing a business case to work on accessing a further period of carer's leave. I hope Maria is well as truly out of it by now.